Monday 9 November 2015

Alexander the Great

Favourite cover -art of all time

Just a quick post to do do two things:

Firstly show off my favourite piece of artwork that graced the cover of Peter Connolly's books which I was entranced by as a young schoolboy from the local Midland Library.

Secondly to post some images I have on file of my own Alexander the Great in action over the years.


Clash of Empires - Alexander prepares to do battle against those dastardly Persians in the plains.

The Great Man prepares to lead an assault...what else would you expect!

These were an exceptional pickup from Hinds Figures back in the early 2000's. 

Posing as Eumenes this time.  Sorry Demetrius but you are a goner!! 

You can never have enough Persians when fighting the might of Macedonia.

The figures a collection of Foundry and Vendel miniatures however in the background there are Essex, Old Glory, First Corps etc.  All great figures in a period which is very well catered for by wargames figure manufacturers.

Just a trip down memory lane lads.

10 comments:

  1. I used to love that book! I wonder how many of us caught the bug from Connolly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely FMB - still gave them upstairs on the shelf!

      Delete
  2. Interestingly, I used the same image as a front to my post this past week on a great deal I got on a horde of Macedonian lead at an outstanding price from a local gamer who decided that he was never going to pain them, and thus wanted to unload them to free up some cash. Of course, now *I* have to get them painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter - it is an amazing picture and I am sure the Alexander posing as Demetrius in the second last picture in this post is designed and sculpted on that same image. Need to re- base all my Macedonians for Impetus/TTS.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Companions!

    By chance a unit of painted Foundry Companions arrived in the post for me this AM. :-) It's mad that I've never been able to field the unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Yes I was very much pleasantly surprised when I unwrapped them all those years ago to see their quality. I was fortunate enough to also get a unit of pezetroi and hypaspists as well painted in exactly the same style.

      Delete
  4. We lost a special person with the passing of Peter Connolly back in 2012, didn't we? So lovely for us that his works live on. Greece and Rome at War is still the best single volume on the subject, don't you reckon?
    His book about the Roman Army was one of the first that I saw, c/- the school library.
    Great looking figures too mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldnt agree more Fish - those books absolutely captured me!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete