Wednesday 27 June 2018

The Battle of Akragas 406BC To The Strongest

"Are you sure Hoplites can't drift or charge left?"






A great fun game last night with Guido (This ain't living...) at the NWS.


Peter very much enjoys set scenario games rather than the simple points battles on a Wednesday night so he dug out his old file of Command and Colours and decided to convert a famous engagement between the Carthaginians and the Syracusans.


The original map from the Command and Colours scenario book - Guido loves them!

My Greek auxiliary style and other suitable troop types are all off their old Warhammer Ancients bases awaiting a new
life with To The Strongest so my Persians had to do. 

However Guido's Carthaginians were spot on - beautiful figures.


My Hoplites start to advance

Wrong chariot for the Carthaginian's,,,you guessed it ...mine...however it did the trick

Guido's beautifully painted Hill Tribes Italians from Aventine


Im sorry I haven't any more photographs as the game was an absolute nail biter.


In the end the Carthaginians re-wrote history and the Syracusans went home in disgrace however  with a smile on their face's.


Agreat fun game with a sensational rule set.



27 comments:

  1. Yes, an absolutely great game Carlo. Nice and even and could always go either way depending on those fickle 'chits' of fate. Enjoyed it immensely.
    I believe I have a wee bit of re-basing ahead as well. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Guido it was a hell of a lot of fun. Looking forward to our next game.

      Delete
  2. What a great looking with spectacular and splendid figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Good idea to port CCA scenarios over to TtS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does look lovely. I didn't realize Derek Zoolander was a hoplite, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FMB. Zoolander? Where? I love that film.

      Delete
    2. Your first photo caption - hoplites can't go left ;)

      Delete
    3. Classic stuff! It's great what different people pick up from comments or photos!!

      Delete
    4. Can’t go left...now that’s hilarious. I love it!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful figures and that mat is very effective, thanks for showing them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to covert C&C. I also liked the space on the base of the missle troops for the ammo chits. I haven’t played TTS yet but all I hear are good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you would like the game system Stew. Its a cracker!

      Delete
  7. Great looking game,lovely figures ,Ive just had my first go with TTS with some draft Italian wars rules and really enjoyed it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Iain. Italian Wars would be spectacular!

      Delete
  8. Great looking game, and of course I am a huge fan of TTs. I am also thinking of using it wioth my Italian Wars troops. I have a Punic Wars game on tap for Historicon in 2 weeks, with TTS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. Love seeing your TTS games as well.

      Delete
  9. Enjoyable (albeit brief) report Carlo. Its always a bit of a bummer when you get to look at the photos and realise that you were too engrossed in the game to take many; but then playing the game is the *real* point isn't it?!
    Chalk one up for Guido--and I'm with him all the way--historical scenarios are far more interesting, edifying and fun, I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carlo- looks great- as ever! I played most of the C&C scenarios, they were fun and are a great resource when planning a game! Best, Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. My Republican Romans are next on the basing table now.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mark - it’s a great game system.

      Delete