Monday 6 May 2019

Empires Eagles and Lions and the equisite artwork of Mike Gilbert

Hows that for detail? The regular contributors and wargamers within the NJAW can be seen in the drawing.
 
Regular visitors to this particular blog will know of my genuine affection for the now defunct Empires, Eagles and Lions Wargaming Journal from the wonderfully productive and creative group known at the time as the New Jersey Association of Wargamers.

As a teenager growing into a young man in my wargaming infancy the journal was a great source of information, discussion and entertainment.  At the time I was very much enjoying Scott Bowden's wonderful Empire III rules and the journal was a great read.

Mike used to paint as well - very amusing advertisement in EEL 29.


Of special attraction was the sensational line drawings and illustrations of the incredibly talented Mike Gilbert.  I wanted to share this wonderful cover so that many of today's gamers who may not have heard of Empires, Eagles and Lions could see some wonderful pieces of artwork.

Ill be occasionally adding a new drawing on the blog just to show how talented Mr Gilbert truly was.

Enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun publication & a fond trip down memory lane for you.
    Enjoy,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great read at the time Jeremy and still has some sensational pieces in it that stand up very well today.

      Delete
  2. Mike was a gifted artist with a great sense of humor and style. I thumb through my copies of EEL often to admire his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Jonathon. I do exactly teh same. "Friday Night at the fights" is still a classic!!

      Delete
  3. I'd never come across Mike Gilbert but these look superb. I will look forward to seeing more , thank you.
    Chris
    http://cheltenham-art.com/chrisgregg2.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. As an esteemed artist yourself you will greatly appreciate his line drawings and other works. Very nostalgic for me to see so many great old drawings.

      Delete
  4. Way back in college, circa 1974, a group of us from UConn went on a road trip... to Pine Plains, NY, in the middle of nowhere (although not that far from where I live now...) to visit Minifgis USA, Steve Carpenter, his business partner, George (?), and, IIRC, Mike as well. My gosh, the incredible stocks of figures from all eras they had on hand... "The Old Guard Band set - yeah, there in that bin over there...." Lots of good conversation, and drooling from a bunch of college students without much money! No togas or even beer, though! This was "Wargaming House", not "Animal House!" :-)

    I have plenty of copies of old issues of EEL myself! "The White Menace..."

    Mike coauthored some rules for wargames set in the world of H. Beam Piper's "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen", which is still one of my favorite "alternate history" novels of all time. I've done several "Kalvan" games in the past, and might do another one some time next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a great, great recollection Peter. You lucky man! "The White Menace" is still a figure that I swear to you now mate I will have commissioned and will appear on my battlefield in full regalia...well...white sheet, sash and bicorne...and roll incredibly fantastic command dice! I have the White Menace as a label on the side of this blog and its is a SENSATIONAL bit of artwork by the late Mike Gilbert. Wargaming House indeed :^)

      Delete
  5. "Down Styphon" were the rules; the title will make perfect sense to anyone who has read "Lord Kalvan"... or any of the sequels by his freind, John Carr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know of his work,it looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete