Monday 22 July 2019

To the Strongest HYW Preparations

HYW English knights and mounted squires based and ready for their first TtS battle


Well I've been contemplating this for a very long time.

Though I now conduct 99% of my wargaming in 28mm, I still do possess some old favourite 15mm armies for nostalgic purposes.  These include my old 15mm Minifig Strip figure Imperial Romans which I first started painting when WRG 6th Edition Ancients had only just been released.  I had so much fun with that army over the years.  So much fun.

Another army I hung onto was my Hundred Years War Medieval French.  I won the castings from Nic Robson at Eureka for the best demonstration game at a smallish wargames show in Perth back in the early 1990's.  My good mate and friendly wargaming adversary  from high school to adulthood Paul Y then purchased the same Museum Miniatures figures for a HYW English army.

My old HYW French knights with a few lances needing straightening and repainting but pretty much ready for action


Did we fight so many battles using 6th edition and then 7th edition.  Great times.

Long story short, Paul Y has gone away from 15mm and I still had the French so we came up with a figure swap where these two long term adversaries could return once again to the tabletop to battle each other once again for control of Northern France.

Hobilars and command plus some French lights on foot

Some more English noble flowers of chivalry

Blurry image of French Crossbowmen and Genoese mercenaries

My first simple effort of baggage way back when.  A bit of tidying up in order but it will fit the bill tomorrow                 night at least


Peter G aka Guido has a 15mm gridded battle mat for To the Strongest all ready to go.  10cm squares which are perfect for what we have.  I have spent the weekend preparing the English and am about 80% complete.
Various elements awaiting placement as English and French baggage

French Pavisiers and a feral peasant mob!
English longbow and dismounted men-at-arms and billmen
Some temporary English Generals - awaiting some heralds and standard bearers.


Lets see what the rules are like for a medieval contest against sworn foes.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon. I finished flocking the English last night and I think tonight the Longbowmen will flock the French Knights as well!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking collection!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the massed effect of 15mm troops. These guys will look great on the table. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Stew - all out on the table tonight. will take a few photos and see if I can get them up on the blog tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Looking good. I suspect the Longbows may need some beefing up to effective in TTS!, as well as proper tactics. It will be interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete