Tuesday 14 July 2020

On the workbench - Hovels Russian style buildings

Hovels resin buildings and Charlie Foxtrot fences

Many many years ago whilst in England for work I decided that it was too good an opportunity whilst in the spiritual home of wargaming not to bring home some goodies.

So without hesitation I drove from Sheffield to Grimsby Town to visit the wonderful Coleman’s at Hovels and literally fill the largest suitcase I could find full of resin buildings in 25mm. Hougomont, La Haye Saint, Sudan buildings, ACW buildings and the entire range of Eastern European buildings.  The plan was always to use them for my 1805-07 and of course other Napoleonic games.

I had first seen these buildings in early issues of Wargames Illustrated and a Miniature Wargames. Inspirational.

How good does that look?  These early magazines never cease to inspire me.

Prussians on the assault. Elite Miniatures figures and Hovels buildings are quite the combination. I think
This photo is from the late 1980’s or early 90’s. For a young wargamer at the time it proved quite memorable.


After many years they are now getting close to being ready to rumble.

Cheers

10 comments:

  1. Those exact photos inspired me too. Enjoy your project & subsequent games old chum!
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at them so often Jermey for ideas and tips on how to construct terrain and the positioning of terrain etc. I certainly am looking forward to having some sensational games with them that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. I do like Hovels buildings...
    I look forward to seeing you put them on the table...
    I am (very slowly) painting some at the moment...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Aly. Hopefully they will be on the table this Saturday for an 1805 bash. Take care and all the Best as well.

      Delete
  3. Those are nice! Hope they’ll be ready for the tabletop to make your games even more eye catching. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can only hope Stew. Still a few other projects on the go as well.

      Delete
  4. I expect that your table will look at least as good, likely better Carlo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had the Hovels Russian buildings for about 20 years, and love them. The Spanish/Mediterranean ones are really nice (seen in my Caldiero posts), as are the Northern European and Hal;f timbered buildings; what the heck, collect them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think Peter that in this time of ready made MDF buildings, many of which a re superb, the absolute diamonds in the resins stables are being somehow forgotten. The Hovels range is absolutely brilliant and I have a few of the peninsular walls etc. awaiting painting as well.

      Delete