Thursday 5 January 2023

Napoleonic GDA2 play test

French formations advance on the Prussian position

Happy New Year to all.

It’s been an incredibly busy period with festivities, visitors and many, many, many family get together.

Earlier in December Martin and I played through the play test version of GDA2 courtesy of Dave Brown. Obviously this was very much on the quiet however with the recent release of videos on YouTube and announcements on the GdA forum via TooFat Lardies I thought I’d share some non- specific  thoughts and game photo’s.

Polish line lancers on the left of the French formation 

This is one of my first battles at the club with one of my new mats from Cigar Box. Very happy.

Skirmishers now fire 1CD per stand plus an additional CD (casualty dice) to a maximum 
Of six stands in the brigade screen. Each hit is half a casualty and GDA2 still keeps
the importance of skirmishers in Napoleonic warfare to the fore. Very well done by Dr Brown!

Let me assure everyone who fears that the excellent rules will be changed and damaged forever that you couldn’t be further from the truth. The feel of GdA is kept however it is greatly enhanced by smoother, less complicated factors, sophisticated but stylish command and control additions and interesting changes to capability of assaults, skirmishers etc.  

Action on the Prussian right

Love this shot. Martin’s done an excellent job on the terrain.

Interesting cavalry action on the French left 

Skirmishers through the woods engage the enemy

I found a good use for my old to the strongest counters


My genuine belief is that the final version of GDA2 will be excellent.

18 comments:

  1. A nice looking game Carlo….
    The matt works well…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I purchased three similar themed ones in terms of colour do I can cover my large table upstairs and I’m very happy with them. The figures and just as importantly, the hills beneath them sit perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Wot no green cloth? A splendid looking game but I've never used GdA so must try and find out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha do true Rob, what the heck’s going on 😂. The rules really are quite superior.

      Delete
  3. Great looking game....you can't trust these Poles though! A mate of mine is on his third attempt to import GdA into NZ...the first two went astray. Richard at TFL apparently told him he is "fed up of bloody couriers" and will just send it via Royal Mail, which was slightly amusing, as my mate is a senior manager at DHL! So, perhaps one day, I will have the opportunity to give these rules a try.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m just about to start my Polish Corps for 1813 and those lads better not let me down let me tell you😂. The tiles are really worthwhile playing RR.

      Delete
  4. Nice game Carlo, and that Cigar Box mat looks great. I have one myself, on the rubber mouse mat, and the troops sit nice an flat on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lawrence. I’m really happy with the mats and these are the fleece lined ones that sit wonderfully on the table and allow terrain to not only sit well beneath it but also on top as well.

      Delete
  5. Great looking game Carlo. I am looking forward to seeing the new version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It plays wonderfully Richard and the changes are all beneficial.

      Delete
  6. Oooooh. Secret play tester eh?
    If you’re also on the squad for picket’s charge 2 just give me a wink. 😀
    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to play Pickets Charge here however the lads seem to enjoy Black Powder which I’m neither for or against. I do enjoy getting a chance to play with the rules in early form and give feedback though. Happy New Zyrar yo you and yours Stew and take care.

      Delete
  7. Good to see this going on , thanks Carlo. Pleased to hear yet another GDA veteran say streamlining is a great improvement. Cheers Chris G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will really enjoy it Chris - excellent changes and the game flows wonderfully well.

      Delete
  8. Hello Carlo

    Firstly: Happy New Year.

    Secondly: I'm happy to hear that Dave Brown has got some decent talent testing GdA2 😃

    Thirdly: I'm even happier that you seem to pleased with the reviswed rules.

    Keep up the good work.

    Salute
    von Peter himself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Peter you sweet tongued Kiwi you…Happy New Year mate.
      Yes you will definitely love the changes as they have all added, not detracted, from the overall feel of a Napoleonic battle. Lots of lovely games have been played so far and more planned for this week as well.
      Take care Von Peter.

      Delete
  9. Looks wonderful, Carlo! Are those the European Fields mats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are Peter. I purchased all three of the European fleece lined fields and I am incredibly happy with them.

      Delete