Tuesday 5 September 2017

On the workbench for 1805-07

Wonderful GMB flags being readied for the Russian Guard


Just a quick post to show that things are still progressing steadily on the 1805-07 project.  The figures are now based and varnished in their entirety and are now simply awaiting a presentation of the Colonels and Regimental colours from Tsar Alexander himself.


In his absence it would seem that the duty will need to fall on this old grumbler!


Get onto Dave Ryan and order this in as it is simply brilliant!
Adding to my enthusiasm in getting the flags up and going were a number of things.  Firstly I had received some wonderfully crafted and painted hand painted flags from the very talented Mark Allen and though they were not for my guard, I felt obligated to make sure that my GMB ones were prepared and finished in the best possible way.


Doesn't get much better than this.  Hand painted on metal by legendary Mr Allen.


Secondly, I had ordered the book you can see above earlier in the year from trusty Dave Ryan at Caliver Books and to say I was very, very impressed is an understatement.  The detail that Dr Prince and Mr Spring go into is amazing and now, with the confidence of knowing flag pole, drum stick and staff colours, proper designations etc. Russian flags of the Napoleonic era should be a lot easier to decipher from now on.







A sneak peek inside the excellent reference book which no Russian wargamer should be without

Elite Miniature Russian artillery about 70% complete ..."Now that's what you can a gun"
Just a quick glance on the picture above will also show that the oldest son Ben has continued on his project of unusual painting subjects.  Perhaps those knights overseeing the Russian artillery pieces are looking for a nice spot to locate...a....SHRUBBERY!!!


You have to love Monty Python.



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes they are Jonathon - interesting period.

      Delete
  2. If I were to do Russians again, I'd definitely do this era; I much prefer their colorful; uniforms and flags to the 1812 ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on Peter...you know you want to...😉

      Delete
  3. Ooh, lots of Russian Garde flags to be allocated out at two per battalion? If so a nice solid formation of Russian Gardely goodness. Nice!

    Salute
    von Peter himself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely two per battalion for me Peter unless I've got that wrong - will need to check. Although I like your views on this Peter in terms of doing whatever one likes and thinks looks right. If to look at my reference books now my friend.

      Delete
    2. Hi Carlo

      Two is exactly the right number of flags per Russian battalion for me. That's the number my model 1813 Russian battalions have because that is how many they had back in 1813 ... at least according to my research done many moons ago.

      I'm no expert on 1807 (or 1813 for that matter!!) but two flags per battalion rings a bell.

      And it will look great! 8O)

      Salute
      von Peter himself

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking flags and nice guns!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou very much Iain and I hope to finish those guns this weekend.

      Delete
  5. The minis and the flags look very good indeed. Looking forward to seeing them on mass. Now to go backwards through your blog and discover other treasures. The Ni Knights, never seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris and welcome onboard! Yes the Monty Python figures are from Studio Miniatures.

      Delete