Saturday 15 February 2014

The Guns at Toblerone - Italians get some bite!




Italian Foot artillery deploy near the villa on the outskirts of village - Elite Miniatures 
 Well as the Peninsular project continues to potter along it was time to bring the Italian Foot artillery into the brigade.  These are all from the wonderful Elite Miniatures range available from Pete Moreby in the UK or if you live in the Antipodes like me, the mighty Nathan Vinson up in Townsville.


A view across the main road.
 The Italians fought well throughout the Napoleonic Wars, often in difficult circumstances, and often against opponents in less well known theatres of the war.  These lads will give the Italian Brigade I am building at present some more firepower in an attempt to come to grips with those dastardly Brits and Portuguese formations undoubtedly skulking behind some ridge line in the future.


Italian Guard horse Artillery battery
 To also add some colour, if a somewhat  " non-historical" formation, I have added the Italian Guard Horse artillery only because I love the uniforms, had the figures and this is my Peninsular Campaign not Oman's or Napier's!!

I also very much like the guns that Elite Miniatures manufacture - they look very intimidating and bloody menacing.  The grey painted/stained wood of the guns has been a point of discussion over many forums over many years and despite people disputing that grey was used (I think I saw it first written in Ospreys "Artillery Equipment of the Napoleonic Wars" having been to the Napoleonic Museum in Rome and seen some guns and carriages I can definitively claim that the grey is correct...however remember we are talking about Italians here and that colours can, and do, change according to the season!!

12 comments:

  1. Nice units, Carlo! Interesting that you have seen the grey carriages "in the Flesh". It has always seemed to me to be an odd choice for the Italians - green or "French" Olive drab would have made much more sense.

    Regardless, My own Italian contingent has seen much action over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi G - agree with the choice of colur however I must confess that I am happy they are so different - always look distinct on the field. I should post some photos of the visit from many years ago - nearly said last cenutry which would be accurate but not quite as 'pleasant"! Old non-digital pictures which all need converting. Another project for 2014.

      Delete
    2. Converting isn't too painfull if you have a scanner and not TOO many pics to do! Knowing Napoleon, I'll bet grey paint was cheaper so that's why he went with it, LOL!

      BTW, are the roofs of the buildings made from the famous chocolate? If that were the case, maybe I could get my wife interested in wargaming at least once, LOL!

      Peter

      Delete
    3. Now choclate rooves would certainly be very enticing for the ladies but heaven forbid they might want to stay and roll some dice!! I can hear the chatter from here!!

      Delete
  2. good one Carlo, well done!

    cheers
    matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matty - great to catch up last month btw - your Impetus looked sensational. Thanks for popping by and taking the time to drop a line.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking artillery...and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - don't Elite miniatures artillery look like artillery? Massive and imposing!

      Delete
  4. Droll mate, droll; but lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying my best James to get the entertainment value...how can I say...just right!

      Delete
  5. very, very nice....

    regards.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - falling back in love with Elite figures at present. Regretfully got rid of hundreds over the past five years but building them up again selectively.

      Delete