Wednesday 2 October 2019

Empires, Eagles and Lions and the artwork of Mike Gilbert


That's a lovely caricature of Mike himself there as the unfortunate General devoid of his mount



I have posted before on this blog about my genuine affection for the old Napoleonic journal "Empires, Eagles and Lions".  For the uninitiated, it was a small black and white magazine with a manila/buff cover put out by the New Jersey Association of Napoleonic Wargamers...and it was brilliant!

The editorial team and its contributors researched all sorts of obscure topics that were of great interest to wargamers, especially those like myself in far off Western Australia seeking additional uniform details, regimental compositions or accounts of battles, formations and tactics often from primary sources.

One of my favorite aspects of the journal was the genuinely entertaining and magnificent artistic turns of the late Mike Gilbert.  He would draw up nearly every front cover with a snapshot of an article in that months edition, an amusing incident in one of their wargames made immortal in "Friday Night at the Fights"  or the hilarious "Encounters of the most unpleasant kind".

Mikes cover above was inspired by his wargame where, as an Austrian General, he was certainly "up against it!"

Jean Lochets Editorial and his take on the front cover

Add caption




The journal is now well and truly gone however I still flick through my old ones often.  Great memories and a great talent.

9 comments:

  1. I love Gilbert’s artworks and still regularly flick through my collection of EELs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are still so entertaining Jonathon. I have a few more pearls to share as we progress in the year.

      Delete
  2. Sigh, I had too few, and lost them to the cellar mold. "Friday night fights" and the 'white terror.'
    Great 'zine, lead a lot of us into what 'could be' in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was “The White Menace.”

      Delete
    2. Yes "The White Menace " will one day be a Divisional Commander in my Austrian force as I swear I will have him commissioned.

      Delete
  3. Really great line drawings, I'm envious of his skill. Thank you for showing them to a wider audience, more please!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great talent Chris. Incredibly gifted artist similar to yourself and one whose sense of humor was sensational. His caricatures of his fellow gamers were famous. Definitely more to come Mr Gregg.

      Delete
  4. A lovely piece of nostalgia Carlo. It's even better when such books and periodicals are still useful and relevant, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely correct Fish. The quality of the articles in there were sensational.

      Delete