Sunday 7 February 2021

Calpe Prussian Foot artillery battery

 



The Prussian foot battery looks pretty animated through a wide array of poses

Following on from my other post this week I wanted to showcase some more of the superb work of Big Chris from the club.  On this occasion it’s the wonderful Foot battery from Calpe as well as its limber team and an attached caisson.


Quite a beautifully animated series of sculpts with so much attention to detail

Wargames Foundry Mounted Battery Commander ignoring the impassioned please of an
Aide De Camp in typical Teutonic fashion.  Painted by yours truly. 

Caisson team from Calpe

Another view of the command stand.  You can never have enough of these.

A close up of the detail on the Prussian limber team riders

A close up view of the foot battery in action

Once again Peter Fitzgerald has done a superb job on these sculpts.

Did I mention I painted these lads myself????  I did? Oh...

Love the Officer on foot with telescope

So these and the Leib Hussars are the only painted and based Calpe Miniature Prussians I have in the collection.  Chris has painted up quite a few of the wonderful High Command figures however they still need to be composed on stands and based.  Later in the year I think.  

I need to finish whats on my paint desk over the rest of February and then hit the Calpe Prussian Infantry battalions I have ready to undercoat for the rest of the year.  Wish me luck.

26 comments:

  1. These look terrific Carlo. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice indeed. Something which stood out was the width of the wheels which seem thicker than most. I'm sure they will lay waste all before them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the better for those roads out of Silesia in February Greg😉.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing that Carlo has been sitting on these models for a while. When Calpe Miniatures first released the Prussian artillery equipment they came with the thick wheels. These were eventually replaced with much more delicate/thinner versions.

      I managed to upgrade to the thin wheels for my artillery equipment (that I have been sitting on for quite a while!) though it was too late for my 6 pounder foot battery by then.

      Salute
      von Peter himself

      Delete
    3. Well there you go Peter I had no idea that was the case. I made need to acquire some thinner wheels from Peter next time I order however having said that, I do quite like that extra Prussian sturdiness.

      Delete
  3. Gosh they are nice Carlo,

    yet to paint my battery they lay in the bottom of a drawer awaiting attention, trying to stay focused on my painting targets for this year, then perhaps I may just get them out and splash some paint on them as my Prussians sorley need them that is for sure.

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matty. They are wonderful sculpts.

      Delete
  4. Painting guns and caissons this well takes a lot of patience and skill, they are great and thanks for showing them. Good Luck achieving your own painting targets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here’s hoping I can start the ball rolling pretty soon Chris.

      Delete
  5. Such pretty looking miniatures! You are a lucky dude to have so many neat toys. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am Stew. The Calpe Prussians have been a very long time coming though buddy.

      Delete
  6. Splendid toys Carlo...
    And beautifully painted.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris certainly did a tremendous job on these Aly. He is a very good painter and always in high demand.

      Delete
  7. These are absolutely beautiful Carlo. It's rare that a limber horse is the 'best of show', but I reckon it is ('though I like them all). Perhaps it is enhanced by the fine way that you photographed it too?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fish - your comments are always appreciated mate. Chris does paint horses superbly and you see the work he goes on ancients.

      Delete
  8. Great looking battery Carlo, nice blue on the guns in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mark. The chap who painted these in a very fine artisan in my humble opinion.

      Delete
  9. Of course what can I say/type but "wonderful Prussianess".

    Salute
    von Peter himself ... and I'm hardly biased at all! 8O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like these chaps Peter.

      Delete
  10. I have a Calpe battery and the Schutzen in my collection, butt hat's it. They are lovely figures but very hefty, and didn't mix well with the Minifigs(!) and Old Glory comprising the bulk of my Prussians, which is why there aren't more Calpe figures. For the Prussians, his range is so vast you could (and probably should) use only his figures if you were starting a new Prussian force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Peter. I actually had some few battalions of the Perry plastic Prussians that I moved on for just that reason. Calpe are the gold standard for 1813 Prussians and the range is quite superb.

      Delete
  11. Carlo, this is a very beautiful painting! Prussian artillery looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and great to hear from you again my friend. Your blog has been sensational lately however sometimes I am struggling to have my comments appear on the comments section. A problem with Google Blogger I think. Take care.

      Delete
  12. That's a lovely battery and so nicely painted and based

    ReplyDelete