Saturday 6 February 2021

Calpe Prussian Leib Hussars nearing completion

The lads awaiting some slightest details and then the final fixing to horses

After many years these lads are nearing completion. I grabbed these from Peter Fitzgerald on a visit to England many years ago and also enjoyed a fine lunch with his lovely family. True gentleman.

These lads were painted for me by “Big Chris” awhile back. I painted the horseflesh in my usual enamels and oils wipe method and completed the basing. I think we will all agree that the Hussars are the star of the show!


Wonderfully sculpted figures and cracking officer.

I am sure that Von Peter himself inspired me to have this regiment in my army through his own wonderful collection.  Peter gave me so much assistance in the early days of  building a formation for 1813 from his own research during his formative University days if my memory serves me correctly. He is also a wonderful promoter of Peter Fitzgerald’s excellent Calpe range. My good friend Cookie is building up some 1813 Saxons using Calpe as I type.


Until next time.

19 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Stokes. They look even better in the flesh let me assure you. Very happy with them and looking forward to getting more of my Calpe figures painted.

      Delete
  2. They look terrific. Peter's figures really are terrific, although I still have lay a brush on any of mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the year for me to complete my Prussian force for 1813 Lawrence. Determined to do so.

      Delete
  3. Great looking miniatures! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a fantastic range of sculpts Stew and the accuracy, variation and quality of castings make them a superior option for figures.

      Delete
  4. Hello Carlo

    A magnificent unit. I feel sure that they will serve you well ... once they get those first game jitters out of the way of course! 8O)

    Peter Fitzgerald is indeed a "true gentleman". The son & heir and I were lucky enough to stay a night at Calpe Towers which I hold as a genuinely treasured memory.

    I sit here squirming in pleasure at my mentioned here. Thank you. We all inspire each other one way or another which is a damned fine way to operate.

    Salute
    von Peter himself

    https://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter you were a great source of information and encouragement to my early enquiries in those days. The Fitzgerald’s live in a wonderful part of the world font they.

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking unit Carlo with some of the best sculpts on the market in any scale.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Richard. Chris did a great job on painting up those wonderful figures that’s for sure.

      Delete
  6. Truly lovely Carlo, the combination of your and Chris' painting worked perfectly!
    Does this portend an 1813-themed game? I hope so.
    Regards, James
    p.s. I take it that the voice to text was not working so well, given the unusual number of typos! :)
    p.p.s. I hope to make it to one of the club's weekend sessions soon, if other commitments allow, so hopefully we'll catch up for a beer and chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea and plan Fish. Spelling reviewed and corrected, I hope, kind sir.

      Delete
  7. They look excellent - great brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris is one of the very best painters of large volume miniatures I have ever come across in my life. He is the very top, top shelf and in demand all over the world, particularly in the US. I’m very fortunate to have his a mate and an occasional painter of my figures whenever I get lucky enough to grab a painting slot.

      Delete
  8. A lovely looking unit Carlo...
    Black uniforms are never the easiest things to tackle and these have come out really well...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aly. Chris has done a sensational job on these...but hey...look at those horses😂😅🤣

      Delete
  9. Bloody superb just doesn't do them justice!

    ReplyDelete