Wednesday 22 April 2020

Gallic Warriors on the rampage


Impact imminent in this one 
Another weekend and another opportunity to further the quiet wargaming immersion of the two young men in the house experiencing these strange times.  To be truthful, it’s all working a treat!

The last week saw us play three games between us with a win for everyone except me. Perfect result to be honest as it keeps them very keen. Actually they are pretty keen anyway.

So it gave me the opportunity and the incentive to base up the Principate Romans that I’ve had painted and waiting to be given some attention.   These Romans, Early Imperial as it used to be called in my old WRG days, is what I always considered to be the quintessential Romans, based up very easily.  The lads, who both were brought up on Asterix books, agreed.



















I just wanted to put a few photos up as the game is at a very critical mid-point. They are starting to use some of the more subtle aspects of the rules which is great. So far I’ve been discouraging reading camps and not using stratagems so they can simply continue to learn the rules . Camps begone fair game next game...that will be interesting.

15 comments:

  1. This is enough to tempt me back into ancients. The rules always intrigued me too...
    Have fun, best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Jeremy. You would simply love these rules - so much fun.

      Delete
  2. A lovely looking game Carlo...
    I do like all the little vignettes...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly. Always great to have the sons out and playing as well. Those vignettes represent the baggage camp of the respective armies and are a great opportunity to have some creative licenese.

      Delete
  3. Great looking table. I’m so glad that you and the lads are having a good time together with gaming. It’s time well spent. The camps look amazing and are begging to be sacked. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. In the early games with the young men we made a mutual decision not to sack camps so we could concentrate on tactics and the forces at hand. That's all about to change as I continue to get my butt whipped!

      Delete
  4. Awesome looking troops and game, Carlo, and great to see your sons enjoying the game. I am considering whether to play some TTS! by Zoom or similar; the gridded board makes that much simpler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter and yes, I am most fortunate. I think its a system that would absolutely suit due to the gridded mat etc. so it should eb relatively straight forward. How are things in your neck of the woods as a Medical professional at the moment?

      Delete
    2. The expanded network that I am part of has 7 hospitals, all but one opf then within 60 miles or less of NYC, so we have had a very heavy Covid census. It wasn't as bad as we had planned for (worse case scenario, more than double our actual peak, which was pretty damn awful), but still, a few weeks ago, Danbury Hospital, only about 20 minutes drive away (my hospital is technically now a satellite campus of same) had over 130 Covid patients, and almost 40 of them on ventilators.The numbers are about half that now, thankfully.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking pair of armies, I'm painting early Imperial Roman armies for Too the strongest! even as we speak!
    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing then Iain! Thanks for your generous comments.

      Delete
  6. Very nice Carlo. You have to like the diorama feel of the Gallic bases, but the early imperial Romans have their very own businesslike look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. They are two classic armies aren't they?

      Delete